There are two things that are sure to make me grumpy on any given day: play dough and graham crackers.  Yes, play dough is fun and delightful and soft and malleable, but it is also messy and ends up in places it should not be.  Last week I opened up 8 containers of play dough and as of today I am still cleaning it up.  This morning Preston stuffed a lot of play dough behind the wings of his beloved Buzz Lightyear, disabling Buzz’s ability to shut his wings.  I pried the play dough out with a colored pencil, but I did have better things to do.

Graham crackers are delicious, yes, but they leave itty bitty crumbs all over the house.  I may sound like an OCD neat freak, but I really am not.  I just don’t like looking at or stepping on bread crumbs all over my wood floors. Usually, whether it is summer or winter, I kick those kids of mine outdoors to eat graham crackers.

My point is, sometimes it is difficult to find activities that will help children entertain themselves every day, 365 days a year.  The graham crackers were just a digression.  It is easier once your children get to first grade because of the long school day and after school extra curricular activities.  I have four kids, and only one is in school all day. Sometimes, they find the strangest things to entertain themselves with.  For example, they like to take the small landscaping rocks in our yard and put them in and on all of their bikes and ride them around pretending the rocks are some sort of precious cargo.  This activity ends with small rocks all over my driveway that I usually step on and then utter some foul language under my breath.

This is all good stuff, though, because the creative juices in their 4-year old brains get to work and they can play for hours.  I specifically remember being young and sitting in the backyard with my sister making pizzas out of dirt and various tree droppings.

Below is an activity my children made up on Sunday.  In case you are wondering, those are Buzz Lightyear wings made out of cardboard and adhered with packing tape. Ava is a fairy/bird, of course.

If you have any great activities for kids that won’t end up in a big mess all over my house making me grumpy, please let me know in the comments section.

Play dough and Graham Crackers

9 thoughts on “Play dough and Graham Crackers

• March 6, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh you have a good 2 years before full time school! I’m not sure if it would be an advantage or disadvantage having 3 the same age. On one hand, my 4 year old does no self entertaining at all and just waits and waits for his sister to get home. But 3 x4 yo could make a huge mess!

Love the site.

• March 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Thanks! Glad you like. Yes, the big benefit of triplets is that they play with each other all the time. I was the playmate of my first child 24/7 and it sucked!

• March 6, 2012 at 9:40 am

It’s so strange – we waste so much money on plastic toys when the kids have just as much fun with a soon-to-be-recycled cardboard box and packaging tape.

• March 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm

1. Violet rules the world for her awesome side-effects.
    2. Preston rules the world for not having ANY side-effects or even moving his arms but rather running the 200 – twice.
    3. If my mom doesn’t tell me the next time you guys are in town I’m raising hell.
    4. Violet and Preston are Chris – with red hair.
    5. Ava and Elsa aren’t too shabby either.

• March 7, 2012 at 9:46 am

I know – Violet’s makes me laugh so hard. It’s like I always say – she does everything with passion 🙂 I don’t know when we are coming next but I will let you know for sure! Probably summer.

• March 6, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I totally said side-effects because I think I’m working, but what I meant was sound effects.

Oh geez.

• March 7, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh how I wish you lived near me so I could drop my 4 kids off for a playdate 🙂

• April 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I love the info you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful site!