Yesterday after yoga the kids and I were STARVING to death, so we stopped in to Taco Bell and I ordered us bean burritos without onions.  As I got to the window to pay, I thought I really should make a point to eat cleaner food in 2014.  I knew that my bean burrito was going to taste extra good, but later it would cause gastrointestinal problems and make me feel badly about myself.

This is no way to start out 2014, a year I have determined is going to be phenomenal!

I feed my family mostly nutritious meals, minus my occasional interludes with processed foods containing hazardous dyes and other chemicals that we all know are harmful to our health. I try not to obsess too much about food. I do try to make conscious decisions about what is reasonable food that will give us energy and fuel our bodies.

Breakfast is always a concern for me because it is the only meal time of day that is packed with sugar.  Sugary cereals, instant oatmeals, pastries, pancakes and waffles, and even some of the processed sausages contain sugar.

My kids love Trader Joe’s blueberry oatmeal.  I read the ingredients and it is actually pretty good for instant oatmeal.  The sugar content clocks in at 10 grams, fairly low for packaged oatmeal compared to other instant oatmeals that can have up to 16 grams in one package.  The TJ oatmeal has good fiber (6 grams) and lots of vitamins and minerals.  My kids want two packages each every morning.  For fiscal and nutritional reasons, I have decided to deceive them.  I tell them I am giving them two packages but instead I pour one package of the TJ blueberry oatmeal in the bowl and mix it with a ½ a cup of plain oatmeal (which I have painstakingly food processed into a fine meal consistency to blend with the TJ package format) and flax seed.  Then they think they are getting the requested two packages of blueberry oatmeal, but I’ve healthed it up!

So after I finished my bean burrito I went to the store and bought a bunch of ingredients to make some delicious and nutritious breakfast items.

I read in the current issue of Real Simple Magazine about making a yogurt parfait. Chris and Ava love a yogurt parfait.  I bought Nancy’s Organic plain yogurt, organic raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries, real maple syrup (not Log Cabin people) and organic granola with flax seed.  I layered mason jars with the yogurt, syrup, fruit and more yogurt and syrup and topped it with granola.  This will be our breakfast over the next week. Note: do not put the granola on the top until you are ready to eat the parfait, or it will just be soggy and gross.

IMG_4264

I also made some Blueberry vegan muffins  out of the Superfood Cookbook by Julie Morris.  My friend Lea had made some and shared them with me this week, and they are super delicious.  They were so good that I ate two of them and then felt them sit like a hard brick in my belly as I did Chair Pose with a prayer twist in yoga.  Delicious.  And you may just want to stick with one muffin if you are going to yoga right after you eat them.

What is your healthy breakfast secret?

IMG_4267

Clean Eating 2014

5 thoughts on “Clean Eating 2014

• January 5, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Breakfast….ok, here it is, for as long as I can remember
    My breakfast is & has been Porridge = coarse oats, processed to instant consistency, 1 teaspoon honey, i cup of milk, microwave for 1.40 min. take out & stir, half cup more milk, micro. for 1 min. final stir.
    I’m 83 next week / not overweight & married for 60 years.
    Maybe it’s the Porridge!! Happy eating all.

• January 5, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Meg, about two times ago in Cal, I found a recipe for granola in one of your Mom’s cook books. It had been sent in by a Reader who had found it on a piece of green paper in the back of her husband’s pick-up truck. She had no idea where or how it got there. I thought it looked good so I copied it down and made it when I got home. That would be probably seven or so years ago and I continue to have it every morning. It has lots of seeds, nuts, dates, honey (honey is good for you right?) also bran flakes, coconut and raw oats. I turned 85 last month,,,I’m sure all due to my breakfasts. AND it tastes good! Bette

• January 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

Meg, Have you ever heard of this? I haven’t tried it, because I just discovered it yesterday, but I am going to. I think you could substitute chopped apples or applesauce for the banana. This makes 24 or 25 cupcakes.

Baked Oatmeal Cupcakes To Go
      (adapted from Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal) It’s from the blog “Chocolate Covered Katie”
      • 5 cups rolled oats
      • 2 1/2 cups over-ripe mashed banana, measured after mashing
      • 1 tsp salt
      • 5 tbsp pure maple syrup
      • optional: 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
      • 2 1/3 cups water
      • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp oil
      • 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
      • optional add-ins: cinnamon, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, ground flax or wheat germ, raisins or other dried fruit, etc.
      Preheat oven to 380 F, and line 24-25 cupcake tins. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine and stir all wet ingredients (including banana). Mix wet into dry, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake 21 minutes. For cosmetic purposes you can broil for 1-2 minutes, but it’s optional. These oatmeal cakes can be eaten right away, or they can be frozen and reheated for an instant breakfast on a busy day.

• January 6, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I love it! I am making that. Thanks xoxoxo

• January 6, 2014 at 11:56 am

Okay, let me simpify this for everyone . . . forget the “organic” this and that . . . just stick with fresh fruit and vegetables and the following formula . . .

Plain Yogurt – if it makes you pucker, so much the better
    Fresh Fruit Mix – better than candy (well, almost)
    Cold Cereal with bananas – Oatmeal with honey & raisins (optional)
    No Fat Milk
    Coffee – It must be strong (STRONG!), black and chewy)
    2-4 Graham Crackers (crushed) in milk (reward for good behavior)